American Association of Medical Assistants
The American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) was formed in 1955 and continues to be the only medical association devoted just to medical assistants. There are 3 other certifying agencies that are recognized by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies but the AAMA is the most common certification process for Medical Assistants as well as the most recognized. The requirements to take the AAMA test are more strict than some of the other agencies but a CMA or a Certified Medical Assistant from the American Association of Medical Assistants is highly recognized in the allied health field.
AAMA Medical Assistant Code of Ethics
The Code of Ethics of the American Association of Medical Assistants shall set forth principles of ethical and moral conduct as they relate to the medical profession and the particular practice of medical assisting.
Members of AAMA dedicated to the conscientious pursuit of their profession, and thus desiring to merit the high regard of the entire medical profession and the respect of the general public which they serve, do pledge themselves to strive always to:
- Render service with full respect for the dignity of humanity;
- Respect confidential information obtained through employment unless legally authorized or required by responsible performance of duty to divulge such information;
- Uphold the honor and high principles of the profession and accept its disciplines;
- Seek to continually improve the knowledge and skills of medical assistants for the benefit of patients and professional colleagues;
- Participate in additional service activities aimed toward improving the health and well-being of the community.
Medical Assistants Creed
I believe in the principles and purposes of the profession of medical assisting.
I endeavor to be more effective.
I aspire to render greater service.
I protect the confidence entrusted to me.
I am dedicated to the care and well-being of all people.
I am loyal to my employer.
I am true to the ethics of my profession.
I am strengthened by compassion, courage and faith.